Saturday, August 1, 2009

Politics and Pecan Pie

Post #3--Answers to Questions--Remember...these are my opinions. If your opinions are different, that's OK by me. I'm respectful of them, as I hope you will be of mine.

Like religion, I don't post anything much about politics. The good way to explain my position is to share with you again some words that I wrote back in late September of 2008 on the Collage blog.

I'm 46 years old (yikes, 47 next week), a wife, school district administrator, mother of two almost grown up children, and lover of politics. My son, who is in his first year of law school, was a Political Science major and as you can imagine, we've had many a lively conversation over the years. In the small town where I grew up, most everybody was a believer in the "solid south." That has changed. Amazingly, since back in the early 1970's in this same small town, a number of the county offices have been held by women...good solid women who were the mothers of my friends and who played big roles in the person I've become. The day I registered to vote, the Probate Judge hugged me and said with a laugh, "If you can't vote democrat, stay home on election day." Sometimes I've followed her rule and sometimes I haven't, but I always vote and have never voted a straight ticket ever. It's about the individual candidate and the individual issues as far as I'm concerned. I have my opinions as do you, but it has bothered me lately when I've read what I consider to be MEAN things on blogs (both posts and comments) in regard to the opinions of people who were contrary to that of the blogger...whether he or she be Democrat, Republican, or Independent. Can we not agree to disagree, and take advantage of the freedom we have to engage in meaningful discourse with respect for an opposing opinion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I could go on for awhile and get all SCRAPPY on certain topics, but I'm not going to do that. In closing...You can't believe everything you read...you can't believe everything you see on TV or hear on talk radio. Shoot, you can't even always believe what the politicians say. Do your research, form your own opinions based on the best information YOU can find (not what other people tell you you should believe) and VOTE. If you don't vote then you DO NOT get to complain. OH...and support our troops, whether you believe that some of our current conflicts should have happened or not.

Finally, a lot of people are up in arms about the universal health care issue. I'll be honest...I keep "hearing" a lot of things that support both sides of the equation, but I haven't done enough research on my own to form a strong opinion one way or the other. But this I do know...no CHILD in this country should EVER be without healthcare.

And so it goes in the Land of Belle...

------------------------------------------------

Princess Freckles asked me to share my favorite recipe. Lawsamercy, that is a tough one, but since my favorite food group is SUGAR, I'm going to give you my Caramel Pecan Pie recipe. If I do say so myself, I make the absolutely best pecan pie IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD. I must love you all if I'm giving you this recipe...

8 comments:

  1. May we ALWAYS have the rights to FREEDOM and free choices and opinions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm the first commenter? Are people afraid of this subject or something?

    Well my friend, as you know if you've read my blog I have very strong opinions about this proposed health care plan.

    It is sad for anyone to be without health care, food, or jobs. It is equally frightening to me that the government could one day have some type of control over the way my children are raised. So with that said, I'll step down off of my box and get back into my chair. Ha.

    I hope you have a truly blessed day!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! I got into a lively discussion last week with a gentlemen regarding politics. Because of my response to one question, he automatically assumed I was a wild eyed liberal. Your comments were almost identical to my response. Basically I told him that I was not a sheep, had never voted a straight ticket in my life, and voted based on the individual, not the party. He was getting a bit hot under the collar, and we ended the discussion in a civilized manner and agreed to disagree. Isn't American great? Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fine with people discussing politics on their blogs until they start to shove it down their throat, then I move onto another blog and that is the end of that. I am one of the very few people my age that knew why they were voting for the candidate they voted for, and it made me incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...can't wait for the pecan pie recipe (I didn't miss it posted, did I?)!! I have been craving pecan pie lately. I have a cookbook from Bishop England that had a recipe in it for chocolate pecan pie. It must have had a typo in it because it never set. :(

    So I am jumping up and down for a great peacan pie recipe...and one with caramel in it? Mmmmmmm....

    Amy in SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting stuff!!!

    Oh, and thanks for the recipe! I will definitely try this out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Just a big ol' smile from me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the religion post first, My bad!!! I too try not to voice my opinion on politics but as a believer in God I feel the need to occasionally express my religious beliefs. I am not the pushy salesperson type though and feel that everyone should be allowed to express their opinion. If someone wants do disagree then it is their option. More power to them.

    Now as for tomato pies, I love them. I do think that I make a mean one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!