Yes...I know that summer doesn't not officially end for a few weeks; however, in the Land of Belle summer ends when school starts. Principalship 3.0 (and Fall) began for me last Monday morning when our teacher arrived back at work ready to go for the new school year. We had a great week. Several new staff members are bringing fresh perspectives and our Parent Open House and New Student Orientation were both successful beyond my dreams.
I'm going own up to being a little weary today. While summers in a school building are busy, it's mostly planning and paperwork with a few meetings thrown in here and there. The minute the teachers return that changes and when the kids arrive...LAWD...we rock and roll all day long.
Crazy me...I'm tired...but I love every minute of it. Even the challenging minutes.To help parents and children make good decisions about the future and to facilitate smooth transitions for them from one level in life to another....well, the pay ain't much but the rewards are great!
Recapping the summer...
1. Hank retired and is settling in nicely at about the seven week mark. I have new beadboard ceilings in the sunroom, kitchen and laundry room. The downstairs powder room has new fixtures. Trees have been trimmed around the house and all of the gutters have been cleaned out. The house as been power washed. By the end of the week coming, my new oven and gas cook top will be installed. He spent two days last week at Lorelai's working on the "fixer upper" adding lattice around the steps, power washing, putting up window boxes and establishing flower beds. He's like the energizer bunny.
2. Lorelai graduated, started graduate school, moved into the "fixer upper" and is starting her 30 hour per week job as nanny for a two year old little girl and her four month old brother. She's going to be tired but AWESOME. Our Lor has "the gift" for working with children.
3. Legare is starting the second year in law practice. He goes goes goes all the time. He moved to a new apartment this summer. While urban living sounded good at the start, he said he felt like he went from elevator to parking garage to parking garage to elevator and vice versa all day long. He's now in a duplex on a quiet residential street...still close to the action but no elevator and a little bit of yard.
4. We were gone a lot on weekends this summer. Beach, summer house, Clemson, Charlotte...I hosted a bridal shower (with three friends) here last weekend for the fiance' of our friends Anne and Tom's son. Didn't take a single photograph.
5. When home, we've been visiting a new church...Second Presbyterian Charleston.
6. Now...are we ready for some FOOTBALL!!! First home game: September 8th. So so SO excited!
But enough about me...How are you wrapping up the summer??