Monday, December 27, 2010

Easing Back Into Reality

  1. Christmas Day is always a big old hullabaloo with mother and Ned, and Hank's mother and difficult half brother.  Every year we hope it will be different but for the last five or so years, it hasn't. We hope. We pray. We survive.
  2. On a positive note, I began my strategic maneuvers to move Christmas Day to our house next year. Hosting the family here would in and of itself, I believe, decrease the hullabaloo factor tremendously. I'm not entirely sure, but I think I made progress and may have an ally in my cousin Elizabeth, who 'bout died doing everything by herself this year. I don't see that changing for her and even if we could alternate years, I would be so happy!  When I spoke to her on the phone Christmas night, I said, We enjoyed today, you really did work hard.  She replied...Yes, I DID.  I countered with, You know I'm ready to take over Christmas anytime you say the word.  She came back with, We'll talk.  Her mother, my aunt, was standing beside her or we might have sealed the deal right then.  What do you think...should I be hopeful??
  3. December 26 was a big old fairy tale day. It snowed all day long.  Even though the snow didn't stick, it was beautiful to watch as Legare and I sat around by the fire drinking coffee and hot chocolate while reading and watching movies.  Lorelai, who finds it nearly impossible to just sit around, went out and about in the snow with our next door neighbors.  Hank rolled out toward Hometown about 8 AM and got back about 5 PM. Everybody did just what they wanted to do and that does NOT happen often around here.
  4. Today, we're trying to do a little straightening up and putting away. I have to go back to work tomorrow and Wednesday from 8 AM to 1 PM. We have a friend (or two) of Legare's coming in on Wednesday through the New Year. They'll head down to the Beaufort house sometime around New Years Day to round out their holiday.  Hank and I will stay home, watch a bowl game or two and put away the Christmas decorations. I will feel compelled to fix collard greens and hoppin' john even if it's just the two of us. Never can be too careful.
  5. We, Hank, Legare, Lorelai, and I, all agree without hesitation that we are tired of eating.  Isn't that sinful to say when there are so many hungry people in the world...and right here in our own community? I put two pound cake gifts and a few other sweets in the freezer this very morning. (They're delicious...we tasted them even thought we're tired of eating.) Another sin and shame is that sometime next fall, I'll notice them still sitting there in the freezer and we'll end up throwing them out.
  6. I leave you with a photograph.  Rarely, are photos of me taken because I'm always the photographer. Hank snapped this of Legare and me as we left on Christmas morning (because we always have take two cars due to anticipated hullabaloo...)

9 comments:

  1. Be careful what you wish for....I always wanted to host Thanksgiving because I have the big house and huge table but the last 2 years I have hosted it and end up on my feet all day.
    Despite the hullabaloo, everything in your neck of the woods sounded picture perfect, just as it should be.
    Any interesting stories about your mother and Ned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way you do about all the food. I have been living on sugar cookies.

    You took a beautiful picture!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had Christmas Day at our house for the past four years, and I love it. Now I don't fix everything - I delegate. But it's on my turf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe next year you will get to host Christmas Day at your home!

    Great pic!

    Happy New Year!

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the picture!! I think you have hope for Christmas next year! Happy New Year to you and yours. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. After coming home from my husband's parents on Christmas night, we said the same thing about hosting next year. If I had not stepped in over at his Mom's, we would have been all afternoon getting lunch on the table. His Mom is just not able to do it anymore. Hopefully we can host here next year and it will work out just fine. Loved your picture with Legare. Sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas and that everyone is going to have a nice New Year. I will be happy just to sit at home on New Years. I am pooped! Looking forward to things settling down after the first of the year. Enjoy the rest of your week, even though you have to work a little bit. At least the kids won't be there. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever my kids ask for something and I say, "We'll see", they walk away disappointed because they always say that means no.
    So, "We'll talk" in my head means no. I may be reading her wrong because you have to factor tone in there too.
    Okay, I'm newer to your blog, so I don't know all the family yet...who is Ned?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think all Christmases are stressful for one reason or another. And tiring! And I know what you mean about all the food! Good grief!

    Happy New Year!

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having just spent three separate days at three different family locales, I totally understand the stress. Perhaps doing at your place will happen next year! And we are of a same mind on the "too much food," yesterday we had a conversation about "When did it all become one big food orgy?"

    Love that photo of you and Legare!
    tp

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!