Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Picking Up the Pieces After the Office Party...Just Call Me Grace

Last night was the second annual holiday party thrown by the Deputy Superintendent and Supervisors for the building level administrators and district office staff. Several of us helped them with the decorating and food preparation and manned (or womanned as the case may be) the kitchen so that they could enjoy the party with their guests. I love doing things like that and actually toyed around once, many years ago, with becoming a caterer. It only took a couple of experimental jobs for me to realize what a HARD job it is and decided to stick with my day job.

There were about 125 folks at last night's shindig and it was perfectly lovely. Smoked ham and turkey, boiled shrimp with three sauces, meatballs, barbecued pork, smoked salmon tarts, spinach artichoke dip, bacon cheese pinwheels, shrimp aspic, cheese ring with strawberry jam, cheese biscuits, bacon wrapped scallops, and assorted sweets rounded out the menu.

As we began to clean up after the last guest left, we quickly found ourselves overwhelmed with so many dishes to clear, wash, dry, and pack up. In an effort to gain additional space, I lifted up the partition separating the kitchen from the party area, not realizing that a number of glass items...a cake plate, punch bowl, and glass platter were somehow wedged up against the partition.

You guessed it....bamalamacrash....glass dishes HITTING THE TILE FLOOR IN THE KITCHEN AREA. Yep, I was just a tad embarrassed. The punch bowl belonged to my boss, who was exceedingly gracious...he's a great guy. It was reported that the cake plate was "just an old plate, don't worry about it one bit" and the glass platter was "nothing special...it's FINE." Nevertheless, I'll be replacing those items otherwise I'll worry about it FOREVER.

I love the people I work with...and they love me (no matter how klutzy I am). Just call me "grace."

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I would do.
    Think it is nice to replace the dishes since it will make you sleep better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents doomed me to a life of clutziness when they named me Grace, I am always that person that falls down while walking on level ground. I have also walked into a glass door at the mall and fall going upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im right there with you! So something I would do. I'd be lucky if I just got away with something that minor!!

    Glad the party was so good though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good time was had by all. I can picture myself doing the very same thing ~ ugh! How sweet to replace the dishes, I'm sure you'll feel much better.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replacing the items will definitely make you the classy person, which of course is nothing to be ashamed of:) Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replacing the items will definitely make you the classy person, which of course is nothing to be ashamed of:) Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of that food sounds so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a story! You seem to have very great co-workers :) So gracious of you to replace the items. Even though they all said "dont worry about it" they will appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so giggleing because that is tottally something I would do!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like me. I am constantly running into everything.....even the walls :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your heart! I would replace the dishes, too. Just for my mental health :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it happens to everyone at some point. Some of us, myself included, it just seems to happen to more than others. We are blessed that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It happens to the best of us! (I spilled a large glass of red wine on a friend's brand new white sofa.) And good for you for replacing everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess your sub-conscious mind was saying "be gone dishes" and BAM! Unfortunately, it missed its' landing and went down the floor and not the sink! he he

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhh! Oh no! That sounds like something I would do too! Otherwise, sounds like a great time! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!