Friday, December 5, 2008

A Winter Adventure

I read something the other day that caused me to recall one of our best family vacations ever. About ten years ago, I was looking at a copy of Southern Living and saw an advertisement for a resort in Colorado...The Home Ranch. We were in serious need of a getaway at the time and decided to take a trip out during spring break that year. Lorelai was about seven and Legare around eleven and neither of them had ever seen any snow to speak of...actually, Hank and I, having been raised in the SC lowcountry hadn't seen much of it either. We stayed in a cozy little cabin and had more fun than should be allowed by law.

Our snowshoeing adventure to a good sledding hill was made laughable by the fact that I let another guest borrow my snowshoes and she didn't come back with them. I had to crawl on my hands and knees back to the lodge to keep from sinking in the snow. I'd crawl a little and collapse in a fit of laughter. Legare was SO embarrassed. He'd say, "Mama, stop it...get up...stop laughing...Mama...STOP IT!"

Lorelai had the most fun...she's always been petite and therefore light on her feet. By the time I made it back to the lodge, one of the great staff members had helped Lor get her boots and socks off and had her little toesies warming up in front of the fire with the big St. Bernard, Bear, and a cup of hot chocolate.

When we set out to do a little cross country skiing...the first time for all of us...one staff member took the children down an easier trail while another guide went with Hank and me. We'd see them through the trees every so often and by the time we met up at the end of the trail, Legare was traveling along pretty well and Lorelai, charmer that she was (and still is) had talked her guide into pulling her along by her ski poles. She was living the good life and exerting VERY little effort. As you can tell, the staff assigned to work with the kids was exceptional.

The food was abundant and incredible (I appear to be talking myself into planning another winter vacation) and though the ownership has changed since our visit, the Relais and Chateaux stamp of approval ensures that the property and service are still top notch. If you're in the market for a great getaway...check out The Home Ranch.

I'll try to scan some of the photos and post them this weekend...how did we every get along without our digital cameras?? Have a great weekend everybody...

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to see the photos. My husband and I are so much wanting to start vacationing out west...when our 2 year old gets a little older and travels better. This sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like great fun. Snow really is fun. I get sick of it around April though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh sounds like a dream! Such a great memory, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ya gotta post the photos! Sounds like a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds fun. Growing up in Louisiana and Texas, I didn't have very many white winters. I didn't experience building a snowman till 2 years ago in Chicago. I don't know how I'd handle skiing! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!