Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Whine and Cheese...Can a Man Measure Up?

How's that for a provocative post title? Hank and I went to a lovely "whine and cheese" gathering tonight. Everybody there sent a child off to college this year...some, like us, sent the baby of the family. We had a marvelous time and got to compare notes with several folks that we don't see very often. All in all each parent is holding up pretty well and our kids are happily settling in to new routines, as are we.

Blogging came up in the conversation and heavenly days, y'all know how I love attention!

The question of the night was, "Can a man get the Life of a Southern Belle Award?" I never really thought about it but I can't think of a reason why not. After all, it is MY award that I give when I feel so inspired. The award is named for ME, the southern belle, and doesn't necessarily imply that it is only to be given to women. I am inclined to declare that a man can indeed receive the award IF he can measure up. This is what I've said before about the award...Southern Belleness transcends geography....it is a philosophy...a state of mind...style and substance...wit and charm...joy and sunshine...grit and determination...love...respect, and so much more. The standards for receiving the award are high indeed. I kind of just have an epiphany when the time is right based on reading the magic words or seeing the magic photos.

OK MEN...bring it on!! I rarely run across a blog written by a man...I need recommendations! Blogging gals...whatcha got? Maybe I'll take nominations...we're going to have to think this through. Tell me what you think!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for your concern, we are doing well. NOLA survived this one!

    And as for men being belles, do not forget: George Hamilton is an honorary belle according to the Southern Beller Primer. ;) So, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not that familiar with many men bloggers - but ... it's funny you should mention this because it is one of the things I am working on - getting to know some!

    Hope you are having a good week - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  3. There used to be a youngish fella that had a blog, can't remember the name right now, but he definately could have received your award!
    I used to read him from a link on someone else's blog. But, then he quit posting and I think they took the link off. I'll have to check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One Fabulous Mom's Hubby has a blog called the sporting life society. You can find the link on her blog. Very manly.
    The pic of Precious in her bathing suit is cracking me up!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read any men bloggers right now. But if I come across one I like I will be sure and let you know.
    I love that you have your own award to hand out. What a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have ever read a blog written by a man.....Hmmmmm? I guess it could apply.
    I could have joined the party. I whined all week about my baby starting preschool today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have ever read a blog written by a man.....Hmmmmm? I guess it could apply.
    I could have joined the party. I whined all week about my baby starting preschool today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the whine and cheese party idea! I might steal that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I nominate M.Lane's blog. He is such an old-fashioned and cultured man at heart. It is a fairly new blog that I discovered recently, but I am hooked. :-)

    http://mlanesepic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!