Friday, December 30, 2011

For your prayer list...

Please put our Lorelai and her poor foot on your prayer list.  As you may know, she's been in a "boot" for some time with a fractured sesamoid bone.  From Wikipedia...In the foot - the first metatarsal bone usually has two sesamoid bones at its connection to the big toe (both within the tendon of flexor hallucis brevis).[2] In some people, only a single sesamoid is found on the first MCP.


She begins student teaching in kindergarten on January 17.  To have surgery on January 12, or thereabouts, would only give her four days to get rested and back to Clemson. She would not be able to put weight on the foot for six weeks. She would likely have to depend on the kindness of others to drive her for six weeks. That is a lot to ask people who aren't family to do for you.  In her apartment, she won't be able to count on but one of her roommates for any support at all and they aren't in the same major.  Her apartment is on the third floor with no elevator. We live three and a half hours away.

I know she's tired...this has been going on since October.  I know she's frustrated as can be about not being able to exercise...she loves to run and that option has been (and will be for awhile) off the table.  This isn't how any of us envisioned her senior year of college.  I have her an appointment this morning with a personal trainer and plan to engage one when she gets back to Clemson...hopefully they can design an exercise routine for her that will give her some relief and not hurt the foot.

Hank and I feel like it might be better to wait until after graduation in early May to have the surgery. Yes, she will have to endure some discomfort and prolong the exercise dilemma BUT that way she will be home for the recovery and able to completely stay off the foot.  She wants to go ahead with it now because she is sick and tired of the whole mess.

We covet your prayers as we support Lorelai in making the right decision about what to do...

Thank you so much...

10 comments:

  1. Praying now! God is good....all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately - I know what you are going through - my daughter, Christine had foot surgery 3 weeks ago - has to keep weight off the foot for another month before PT can begin -we're not having fun around her - I agree with you - put that surgery off until May when she is home from school - Good luck and Happy New Year! I'll keep you in my thougths and prayers.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it wouldn't cause more damage, I have to agree with you...wait for the surgery. I know she's frustrated, but I bet the frustration will get a lot worse when she has all the restrictions and burdens of having it done now.
    Will keep her in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From someone who student taught in kindergarten, I agree with you that she would be better off to wait until May. I know that God will guide your family as you make this decision, and in the meantime you will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog and feel like I know your family :) I actually live in Clemson with my husband and 2 boys (10 and 12). If she has the surgery now, I will be glad to help her if needed! I promise I'm not crazy...my husband and I are part owners of Tigertown Graphics and Tickled Orange...Maggie Bandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today is the first reading I have done in days, so I am very behind, but I will definitely pray for all of you. Keep me posted. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the parents. Put the surgery OFF 'till May. Meet w/the trainer and he'll probably give the same advice. But at the same time, allow her to make the final decision. If you don't and something goes wrong, you'll be the bad guys. I'm praying she'll decide with y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the parents. Put the surgery OFF 'till May. Meet w/the trainer and he'll probably give the same advice. But at the same time, allow her to make the final decision. If you don't and something goes wrong, you'll be the bad guys. I'm praying she'll decide with y'all.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!