Monday, December 5, 2011

Wish I'd had my camera...

So, last Friday night Hank and I went to a Christmas party at Ned's house. We picked up Mother to driver her across the street and she protested that she was NOT going because she was NOT invited. We played it cool...said, Oh well...you're welcome to go but if you don't want to, we'll see you later.  Cool works...wish I could be that way with her more often. She promptly got up, combed her hair and got in the car.

She spent the next two hours thinking that it was Christmas Day. Hey...she was happy. Ned sat beside her and let her hold his hand.  He's a good son.  A new fellow moved in on Friday and I'm sure he was a bit overwhelmed with all of the merry making.  Like Ned, he's lived at home with his mother his entire life. He's 52 and doesn't speak.  Mother kept trying to ask the poor guy questions.
After supper, there was an sing along.  One of the wonderful women who takes care of Ned and his buddies has a gorgeous voice...I contend that if given a chance, she could take on Susan Boyle. She sang White Christmas and Silent Night for us. When the group started with The Twelve Days of Christmas, Ned went to his room for his guitar.  He's been "playing" guitar since he was very young and is never without one.  Since everybody attending works at the home or has a relative living there, his performance was accepted with joy and love.  Hank did his best to get a photo with his phone. You'll see Ned toward the back strumming along.  What he lacks in playing the actual tune of a song, he makes up with steady rhythm and enthusiasm.  Scott (in chair) was celebrating his birthday along with our holiday party which explans why his dad is wearing a birthday cake hat.  We're QUITE a group...


We got our tree up yesterday...Lowcountry theme.  Hope to finish up the decorating tonight and concentrate on being Merry and Bright!  Have a good week..

4 comments:

  1. Hi darling, I'm glad your mother went with you. We do have to play it "cool" don't we? What a sweet afternoon.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother is in a men's home too and I sometimes wish I could be a fly on the wall. A good time was had by all, it seems. Ned has the hand positions on the guitar just right, he looks like a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Ned!! And he is such a good son, for sure. And you are a GREAT daughter!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Ned. You may remember my sister in IN who had Caleb who passed away at age 3 with DS/heart defects. I love to see Ned enjoying his guitar and friends. Glad your Mom went along, too. Funny, how we learn to be "tricky!"

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!