Saturday, December 12, 2009

REPEAT POST: T'was The Day After Christmas

12.12.09-- I've figured out this year's plan for Christmas Day. Even the Santa Claus part for Ned. Thought that I'd let you revisit our shenanigans from Christmas '08. This year we won't travel with a turkey timer, I don't think....ENJOY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.26.08

Hank is hunting...Legare is watching Home Alone because "sometimes you just need a little stupid in your life," Lorelai is still asleep, and I'm (what else) blogging!

Trying to satisfy our kids and extended family on Christmas Day has always been a challenge. Truth be told, Legare and Lorelai would rather stay at home. That's not to say that we wouldn't welcome any and all manner of family and friends to come spend the day with us because we would! In typical southern belle fashion I've raised them to believe with all their hearts that their mama's (my) way of doing things is THE way to do things and I put on a MARVELOUS Christmas Day when given the chance. In other words, they're spoiled!

Nevertheless, with our mothers getting on up there, we have to be grown ups (I'm including Hank and me here too) and hit the road on Christmas Day.

This year, we decided to make a game out of it, a la the episode of Will and Grace when they, along with Jack and Karen pile in the car with a turkey timer and give themselves a certain amount of time with Grace's family, Karen's husband who is in jail, Jack's stepfather, and Will's family. When the timer buzzes, they jump in the car and move to the next location.

We started our day about 9:00 AM with coffee and presents. By 10:40, we were at the table enjoying bloody marys, crabcakes eggs benedict, cheese grits, and more coffee. At 12:30, in the car we jumped with assorted gifts and cellphones set with alarms (our version of the turkey timer) for the hour drive to my aunt's house. Arriving at 1:30, we swept in with happy smiles and gifts to spread sunshine to 25 people...20 of whom we had not laid eyes on since last Christmas, including a beautiful brand new baby girl who I grabbed the minute I walked in. At 2:30 the alarm sounded and the scene went something like this:

Hank: Well Daniel, I agree that Congress needs to be accountable for...gotta run...great to see you...

Legare: Oh, yes'm, we really enjoyed seeing...oops...gotta go...really enjoyed it...Merry Christmas!

Belle: I was thinking about inviting some of the cousins to...OH MY...thanks so much for inviting us. Come on Ned, get mother...

Lorelai: You are SO right...he's just the WEIRDEST boy I ever....(she doesn't get to finish her thought as Legare grabs her by the arm and pulls her out the door.)

Then we were off for the hour drive to granny's (Hank's mother) house with my mother and Ned in tow. Arriving at 3:30, the next alarm is set for 6:00 PM. In we go, more gifts, more smiles, more spreading of joy and sunshine and eating of food.

At 5:15, I take mother and Ned home, unload their gifts, make sure she knows who to thank for what, remind her to take her medicine and head back to granny's house by 5:55...the alarm sounds at 6:00 sharp and away we go...two hours and we're back home.

As we jumped in our car and drove out of sight...

I said: I just realized I made it through this crazy day without taking a flying pill!
Hank said: You know, I made it through this crazy day without a drink!!
Lorelai rolled her eyes and said: It's a Christmas miracle!!!
Legare said: Good grief...just get me home!
What we all really meant was..."Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!!!"

27 comments:

  1. Phew - busy, busy, busy! Our couch day pails in comparison to your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Christmas story ever! I love the idea of the turkey timer and can't wait to share that with my mother. I know she will want to use that as an escape for next year! And I love your little red heads! I too am a ginger and love to see other beautiful redheads, hehe!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was tired just reading about your visits.

    Bloody Marys, crabcakes eggs benedict, and cheese grits, has to be one of the yummiest sounding meals ever served.

    I thought out breakfast was good, but I think yours sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - I love it! I will have to remember that next year - that would have gotten me away from one stop much sooner yesterday!

    May you have time to prop your feet up today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun to me! You have a great family......loved hearing about your Christmas.
    Thanks for visiting me and your kind remarks!

    I see you have HUNTERS too! They are a breed of their own, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea! saved a lot of time i am sure! we did all of the family stuff prior to the big day... it's the only way for us...we make no exceptions... otherwise people get hurt feelings or it gets crazy...my family is huge!! :) anyhow, merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww - that is the best story ever! You all gave everyone the best Christmas Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like you had a Christmas marathon....hope it was Merry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your day sounded as busy as ours!

    Thanks for posting on my blog. I skimmed your first page and I will definitely be back for more reading this weekend!

    Get some much-needed rest...you need it!

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great review. Your Christmas holiday sounds so much like ours used to. Until.

    Until The Missus declared that due to having three children under the age of three meant that we would no longer travel anywhere. Since then, it's been a tradition that everyone meets up at our house for Christmas. (She's a genius.)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a busy day. I'm not sure I could have done it (at least not without a drink!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanx for the reassurance :) What a busy Christmas day!! Good pictures tho!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful fun filled day. You all look like you were having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! too funny! we did that with my mom's family growing up. we would drive 2 hrs to where they all lived and then go from house-to-house delivering our gifts. but it was more like 10 minutes stops at each stop. Mostly cuz they all lived in filth :(

    anyway - too funny all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am jealous of that Land Rover! You had a packed 2 hours:) I love the timer idea...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so funny! I cooked a beautiful lunch, and then took a nap while my mom, dad, and husband played with the kids.
    It was a great, relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your a busy woman. Hoope you guys had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay...when are you sharing the recipe for crabcake eggs..that sounds so good!
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the humor you threw into a crazy day. This whole being an adult thing really isn't much fun at times ~ I think you handled it better than I would have.

    Relax and enjoy a relaxing New Years!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Lisa, your breakfast sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW-ZAH! You are incredibly awesome to be so on top of it on Christmas Day! I'm a motor mouth and would miss the alarm the first time around and the second! Way to be!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Belle, You made me tired just reading this!!
    Here's the oreo truffle recipe (sorry it took so long for me to get it to you!)
    1 pkg. oreos
    1 8 oz. pkg softened cream cheese
    2 pkgs. white chocolate morsels

    Place your oreos in a food processor and pulse until they are finely ground. Then mix with the softened cream cheese. Then you form your balls and place on a wax lined cookie sheet. After you've made all the balls I usually place them in the refrigerator for at least an hour for them to harden a bit. In a double broiler melt some of your chocolate. Dip each ball in it. I remove them with a spoon and place back on the wax lined cookie sheet. If you want to put sprinkles on them you will need to do so after only dipping 3 or 4 as the chocolate melts quickly. Once you've dipped all the balls and sprinkled them place back in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. In all seriousness, what is a flying pill? I get so sick and tense on planes and I need to do a plane trip in a couple weeks. Years ago a doctor gave me something that helped me fly, but I don't remember what it was, nor who the doctor was. Help!!! I have seen "flying pill" in two posts now, so figure there might be something to it. Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ♥ That cracks me up! Sounds like a busy day... Its so true about the growing up with a certain idea of what Christmas is all about. We used to get diappointed when we were somewhere else and the did it "different". Not that we didn't love seeing out grandparents and all that just the traditions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have I mentioned how HILARIOUS your kids are!! Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was so amazing, heaven help you if you do it again!

    Sending you a smile for the week ahead Miss Belle!
    tp

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!