Wednesday, December 2, 2009

THE GIRL ON LEGARE STREET--A Review of Karen White's New Book

Imagine my excitement when I was contacted to be a TLC Virtual Book Tour host for a recently released book by one of my new favorite authors, Karen White. (ASK ME AGAIN....ASK ME AGAIN!)

Karen will be joining us soon to do a guest post. A CELEBRITY on Life of a Southern Belle!!! I'm honored.

THE GIRL ON LEGARE STREET is the sequel to Karen's fabulous book THE HOUSE ON TRADD STREET. If you've been reading my blog for long, you know that I'm a South Carolina Lowcountry girl, so it stands to reason that I love stories that are set in my stompin' grounds. I've walked up and down Tradd Street on many a beautiful Charleston afternoon, not to mention that my son is named Legare. What's NOT to love about Karen's books!?!
Here is a little bit about the book from TLC Book Tours...

Southern novelist Karen White’s The House on Tradd Street was nominated for the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance 2009 Book of the Year Award (Fiction). Now, a year later, in a return to Charleston and the people of Tradd Street, Karen White shares the story of The Girl on Legare Street, published by NAL. There the tension continues between Melanie Middleton and Jack Treholm, the house on Tradd Street is still being renovated, and there are messages from the spirit world waiting.


Just as Melanie begins thinking her life and her career as a realtor are finally back to—if not normal—a routine, Jack invites her to join him for coffee. No sooner does she sit down than she’s confronted by both an architectural masterpiece and the mother she hasn’t heard from for thirty years. Said mother, famous soprano Ginette Prioleau, has returned to Charleston and is insisting on buying back the family’s home on Legare Street. Melanie has no interest in even seeing Ginette, let alone in helping to restore the 1755 three-story Georgian double house. It appears that the mother and daughter reunion is about to fail, until a more serious agenda emerges—Ginette has had deadly premonitions with Melanie and the house at their center.


Ginette is determined to protect her daughter from the danger she sees approaching. The question is not simply who wishes Melanie harm but why? The mystery has few clues—the discovery of a portrait whose subject bears a striking resemblance to Melanie, the appearance of a locket marked with an “R” that matches one seen in a painting and a possible connection with Melanie’s great-great grandfather’s sail boat, missing since 1886, which has just been recovered along with a trunk containing the remains of an unidentified girl. Despite their psychic abilities, Ginette and Melanie struggle to make sense of it all and to prepare for the enormous power of a malevolent spirit bent on vengeance.

Do you trust Life of a Southern Belle, my friends?? If you do, you will run right out and buy THE GIRL ON LEGARE STREET and THE HOUSE ON TRADD STREET. I was only asked to review the newest book but you will love them both...no question in my mind. NO QUESTION!!

The characters are fabulous! And I'm not just talking about the living breathing characters...there are some pretty compelling characters from the spirit world too! It may sound cliche to say, but the honest to goodness truth is that you won't want to put the book down. Not to mention the mother/daughter tensions...boy howdy can I relate to that. Actually, it just dawned on me...Melanie Middleton's mother is named Ginette and my mother is named Jeanette. Go figure. At least mother and I haven't had to deal with a "malevolent spirit bent on vengeance." WHEW! And then there is Jack...a hunk and a half...DO mercy!

I'm giving this book a Life of a Southern Belle Award. It doesn't get any better than that. Stay tuned for Karen's guest post soon.




14 comments:

  1. Ooh I can't wait to get my hands on this! I loved the House on Tradd St. (I took your previous rec! and adored it!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read her, but I will trust your recommendations and try them both. Thanks for the review! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done deal. I'll be looking for both books first chance I get. Just hope I can find some time to read. Lately, my reading time as been limited. I do so love to read.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with her either but would enjoy both books and I look forward to her guest post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to read her newest book!
    I read The House on Tradd Street after your recommendation and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found The House on Tradd Street when I was cleaning out some boxes and was wondering when the next one was coming out. How exciting...thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, that sounds terrific :)

    So sorry to hear about Roy :(

    How dare they!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I love how your enthusiasm really shows through in your writing! I'm so glad you liked the book! Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I trust you! Can't wait to get them. Love the Low Country and love a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the House on Tradd Street, can't wait to get the sequel. I' with you, there is nothing finer than walking Tradd Street on a crisp fall day with the SC sun shining on your face - or of course, take me back 30 years and put me on Coming Street in the Chi Omega House.....

    Yell loudly tomorrow for our Tigers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting for you! I think I shall read both of these books...just because you rec them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for both of these books. I am always looking for books set in my beloved state of SC! Even better that they are set in Charleston. Thanks for the recommendation! They are going on my To Be Read list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the review. I have this book on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!