Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ultimately, we're thankful the guy was an idiot!

Night before last, a 78 year old woman that we know from Hometown was abducted from her rural home. The ring leader of the three criminals had done some yard work for her around Thanksgiving and, realizing that she lived alone, conspired to go back and rob her. They threw a brick through her window around 1 AM, at which time they were met with Margaret and her pistol. God bless her heart, she wasn't going down without a fight and came out shooting but missed! They shot back, hitting her twice in the stomach, threw her in the trunk of her car, took what they wanted and drove off with her. A neighbor called for help but the sheriff got there too late.

About 12 hours later, one of the robbers (clearly not the brains of the operation...or maybe he was) walked into a local bank and tried to cash one of her personal checks for $6,000. He was arrested and around 2 PM, she was found, still in the trunk of the car and praying to beat the band. She was airlifted to Charleston and taken into surgery. By 7 PM, it's reported that she was wide awake and talking up a storm.

I could reflect on this for many paragraphs, but I'll leave it at this. Thank goodness that mother has moved somewhere safe. I was constantly worried that someone would break into her house....AND....thanks to our Father in heaven that the abductors were IDIOTS and that Margaret was found before it was too late.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a story! Thank God she's ok. I can't believe people like that exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Margaret is one lucky woman. Her prayers worked. How frightening for her . . . but she sounds like a feisty one. I know it is nice for you not to have to worry about your mother. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horrible story, but thank goodness she is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad this had a happy ending!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a horrible ordeal for her. I pray that she makes a complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God she's okay. God really is watching over us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awful! I'm so glad that they were able to find her and catch her kidnappers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just sent you an email! I know Margaret!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrible ordeal for that poor woman! Of course, idiot criminal is not exactly an oxymoron. Thank God that she is ok. She sounds like a strong woman, and I bet those kidnappers got alot more than they bargained for. It just makes me sick to think about this happening to anyone, much less an elderly person. I know that you are grateful that your Mom is somewhere safe and secure. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your story had a happy ending. Poor Margaret!! She is one feisty lady. Hope you are doing well. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad she is doing well. Too bad she did not get off some better shots so nobody would ever have to deal with those scum bags aain!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a scary situation, but I'm so glad she remained strong and is now safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How scary! I love that she put up a fight though. Good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sick to my stomach.

    Evil...pure evil!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!