Friday, November 27, 2009

And a day it was....

A little post-holiday whining here...feel free to skip this post

Too much food and almost too much excitement for mother and Ned. They were more wound up than they've been in a long time. While Hank and the kids were in Hometown for a few hours during the middle of the day, I had mother and Ned at the farm. I gave them a light lunch and we settled in for the afternoon. Poor Ned, mother harassed him half to death. Don't eat that...put on your jacket...move this...you don't need anything else to drink...Poor guy, that's why he doesn't want to go visit her everyday. He finally went outside to sweep the leaves off of the porches for me just to get her to leave him alone.

Then, she proceeded to tell me how she's really been thinking about taking a vacation and she'd like to go BEFORE she DIES! I suggested that next summer we go to the mountains for a few days. That's a good idea as far as she's concerned as long as she isn't DEAD by then!

The vacation discussion then led into a funeral plans discussion. She wants a graveside service and wants it ALL done on the cheap! Nothing expensive...don't waste a lot of money on my funeral, she says. Just buy the least expensive casket, she says. How about we just wrap you up in a sheet and drop you in the ground, I countered? No, she replied, I'll need some kind of box. Maybe an orange crate. This was by far one of the most bizarre conversations we've had. I finally suggested that we just spend the day being thankful and save the funeral planning for another day. Of course, by the time the family returned and I explained what we'd been discussing, she didn't remember any of it. Lawsamercy!!!

There was food...lots of it. Caramel Pecan Pie...YUM! We enjoyed having both Legare and Lorelai with us. It's quiet at the farm...peaceful and restful and renewing for the spirit.

A few photos for your enjoyment. I'll have the Christmas decorations ready for you to see in a day or two.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your video. That pie sounds scrumptious! Hope you get a little rest today and that you will enjoy decorating for Christmas. I look forward to seeing all your pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the picts1 Your mom is a hoot! I would have loved to be there listening to the funeral arrangements! I am going to enjoy the pie leftovers today. After I get my Christmas stuff out- it will be my treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am still giggling!! Lawsamercy!! Your mother keeps things lively, doesn't she!! You handled it well.

    Loved your pictures. It looked like you had lovely weather and your children look so cute!!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving conversation you had with your mother. Ha!

    What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm LOVING the UFO welcome center! I can't imagine having to drive by that all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!