Friday, November 13, 2009

Getting Ready for the Holidays

I am determined...DETERMINED, I SAY, to have my house decorated for Christmas BY Thanksgiving Day and all of my gifts purchased and wrapped by December 1. Here's why...I have just three days off for Thanksgiving and don't want to spend them cooking and decorating. Can't avoid the cooking but at least when the last of the dishes is washed and put away, I'll be able to sit back and enjoy my already decorated house.

Our holiday plans will be a bit different this year. For the first time in our 26 years of marriage, our families are not in the same town. Mother's move to Green Grove and Ned's to his house will change the complexion of our holiday plans from here on out. The question is this: How do we make sure that everybody feels like their got their due without losing our minds? I started getting twitchy about this as early as two months ago and made a proposal that, praise The Lord, Hank found agreeable.

His mother's family has a reunion on Thanksgiving Day at the American Legion Hut back in Hometown. I took tap dancing lessons from Ilona Hiers in that same hut for five years...first grade through fifth grade. I'm pretty sure that mother and daddy knew they were wasting their money but held on to hope that one day, I'd develop a sense of rhythm in my feet. Truth be told, Thanksgiving at the hut isn't my "scene" but it brings back fond memories for Hank, and Lorelai doesn't actually mind going so much because she says people ask her questions about herself and she likes being the center of attention...go figure! She's a novelty there, since 95% of the people who attend never left Hometown and see each other all the time. Mother and Ned have frequently been guests at the hut on Thanksgiving Day, but I don't think that taking them back to Hometown is a good idea. They're happy and I don't want to stir the pot.

So, Hank and Lor will go to Hometown for the midday meal. I'll be at the farm cooking a traditional holiday meal for supper. I'm going to send Legare over to Green Grove for Mother and Ned and probably have him help her get her Christmas decorations out. Then we'll all "gather together to ask The Lord's blessing" later in the day.

And we have been SO blessed this year. Mother and Ned are safe, settled, and happy. Hank's mother, who struggles with depression is doing better (I don't talk much about Hank's family...those are his stories to tell). Legare is doing well in law school and has secured a job for next summer. Lorelai is doing well in college and we have managed to find a way to get her into a new living situation for second semester. Have their been troubling times...sure, but the good FAR outweighs the bad and for that we are indeed thankful.

So...two weeks from today you can expect photos of Thanksgiving and my Christmas decorations. YIKES! I'd better get busy...

13 comments:

  1. I wish you the best. As for me, I hope to get mine up by Christmas. I am glad the thing with Lor worked itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that everything has worked out so well for you and your family! So much to be thankful for. It will be a great day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see! i think that's a great idea. get it done and enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like you are soooo organized and ready to "gather together!" I'm looking forward to the photos. I'm spending Thanksgiving in Florida and then going to Georgia to visit with Mama for two weeks. My holiday season is going to be hectic...with my being out of town so long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see all your decorations. When Mama was alive, we would start decorating her 7 Christmas trees in Nov. and have everything complete by Thanksgiving. That way we could enjoy the pretties for the whole month of Dec. I am very glad that your Mother and Ned are doing so well and I wish ALL your family happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left something for you on my blog the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a wonderful plan! With the thought and organization you are doing, I am sure your Thanksgiving will be smooth sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you go! You have way more energy than I do ~ I'm just hoping to get Thanksgiving dinner on the table in time to enjoy it before heading to bed :)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing! Just reading all of those plans made me tired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you've got a plan! You go girl!

    I'll be having company the second weekend in December so I need to have all of my decorating done and be ready to entertain. Like you say, we'd best get going!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful plan. Sounds like you have wonderful kids also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you have every thing planed just right..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your style! If only I could get that organized!!!

    Enjoy your lovely family during this wonderful season of gratitude and celebration.

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!