Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gobble Gobble

I'm writing this on Wednesday morning for a Thanksgiving Day post. As you read, if you're reading on Thursday, I have packed up my holiday meal and headed over to the farm. Hank and the children are headed to Hometown for three or four hours for his mother's family reunion and will be back by mid-afternoon to enjoy our big meal around 6 PM. Mother and Ned will be in attendance, as will our friend Ed.

Here's how the menu is shaping up. I'm attempting to brine a turkey...have NEVER done that before so I hope it turns out alright. There will be ham, dressing, rice, gravy, macaroni pie, sweet potatoes, butter beans, collard greens, watergate salad, broccoli salad, and....I think that's about it. OH....yeast rolls, pumpkin pie and pecan pie...wine, sweet tea, and coffee. WHEW! I was not storying when I titled this post "gobble gobble."

OOPS...take collard greens off of the list. I just smelled something burning and it was the collards. I left them turned up too high. It took a long time to wash and cut up those things. Oh well...nobody to blame but myself. Have you ever smelled burning collards? It is truly awful.

ONE HOUR LATER...Well, I think the burning collard smell is beginning to dissipate. But now we don't have any water! Good grief! I called the county office and they don't know what is wrong...didn't even KNOW that our whole community was without water until their phones started ringing...they're on it, which is a good thing because I really need to take a shower, wash Lorelai's clothes, and run the dishwasher.

I'm SO very thankful for so many things (but not burned collards or a lack of water service). Our children are doing well, we are happy, healthy and employed. Blogging continues to be the perfect outlet for me to chronicle the events of our lives. The thing that made the biggest difference in our lives was the MIRACLE of getting mother and Ned settled. To know that they are safe and that Ned is finally getting to live the life that he deserves...words can hardly express how joyful and thankful we are.

As you reflect on 2009...what were your three greatest blessings? I really truly do want to know...wouldn't ask if I didn't!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOURS!

5 comments:

  1. I hope you have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meal sounds amazing!!! Yummy! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! My three greatest blessings are my Lord and savior, good health in my family, and the happiness of my son/dil and daughter! You understand what I mean - if all is okay with my children, then all is okay with me!! Happy Day my friend!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you had a wonderful day! Your menu sounds fabulous. I'm trying to keep my eyes open right now, that turkey coma is deadly! I'm grateful for so many things this year. Cait got the student teaching assignment she was hoping for, despite the economy and some shakeups DH and I are still gainfully employed, and Mom's health seems to have stabilized. Have a blessed day with your family! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny! No, I've never smelled burnt collard greens--love them unburnt however! I'm sure y'all had a fabulous time...Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!