Tuesday, January 19, 2010

You can't choose your family....or CAN you????

Sometimes family relationships in the south aren't what they seem. Take for instance, my Aunt Sookie. Sookie isn't really my aunt, she's my daddy's 80 year old cousin and my second cousin, therefore I call her "aunt." If you aren't from the south, don't try to make sense of it. It'll just make your head hurt.

Sookie never married and let me TELL you, it takes a village!!! Unfortunately, what with all of the hullabaloo of getting mother and Ned settled and their house cleaned out, I've not been as attentive as I might otherwise have been. Sookie is very fortunate to have good neighbors, friends, and other family who check in regularly.

Anytime you go by, there is ALWAYS something that's "lost." Monday, I located a long lost key to her carport storage room in an old cherry Sucrets tin with four marbles, used twist ties from bread bags, rubber bands, and a Buffalo nickel. Yay for me, now I apparently get the honor of going back and cleaning out said storage room.

Sookie adores family photographs and has them displayed all over. Many are of loved ones who have gone on to their great reward, but those of us still kicking are represented too. It's always an adventure to see which photos she's moved where around the house, not to mention looking for the ones that are "lost."

As I walked around a corner the other day, I did a double take when I saw this previously undisplayed photo hanging on the wall in a lovely gold frame...




How often do you reckon Dolly stops by???
Perhaps SHE could clean out the storage room...

13 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard right now I'm nearly crying. I have been trying to explain my family tree to DH for 29 years. I finally gave up, he just doesn't get it! Thanks for the laugh. Kathy (and hey, isn't it fun to find out you're related to Dolly??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - let Dolly clean the storage room and she can sing while she's at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be curious to see what outfit she cleans in- your hubby might like to see THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny. We southerners understand about all the aunt calling and all. You wish Dolly would come and take over your job:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, too funny! I love Dolly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have "aunts" and "uncles" just like that too! And, I have a "real" Aunt that we don't recognize because we are also Italian and there was a family fight years ago and she is one that is "not to be mentioned" - try to explain that!

    Sounds like fun at your house!

    Let me know next time you're up this way and we'll meet at the flea market or something!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before Dolly starts cleaning out the storage room, I hope she takes off some of that makeup!
    Good job on finding that key!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crazy southerners! God love us! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious! There's always at least one of those! When my husband's grandma died, we found pantyhose in old cereal boxes. She used them like drawers (even though she had furniture). I wish we could pick our family b/c trust me, I'd exchange some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new to your blog. I am still laughing at this post. Thanks. I will be back!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!