Saturday, November 22, 2008

6th Photo in the 6th Folder Tag

Petunia tagged me to do this fun post...

Oh my...it's a fuzzy one! I grew up in a small town, Hampton, SC....the Watermelon Capital of the World. In 1980, I was selected Miss Hampton and thereby one of the hostesses of the Watermelon Festival....garden party, street dance, big float in a big parade, garden party, beauty pageant, Melon Ball (that's funny, isn't it...melon ball...). Hampton is one of those communities that time has passed by in a lot of ways...not much industry, and kids who leave for college rarely return to live or work unless they're coming back to a small family business. It's a shame because it was a pretty darn good place to grow up.

The Watermelon Festival is a BIG deal and is the longest running festival in the state. I haven't been back for festival weekend in probably 15 years but it is still going strong. An added bonus was that I got to go around the state and ride on floats and in convertibles in OTHER festivals...you know how I love to be the center of attention and although I never rose any higher in the queenly ranks, I had a VERY nice time as the big fish in my little pond for awhile.

14 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! And of course it makes me think of the Watermelon Crawl. I grew up with that song and loved it!!

    In my hometown we host the chicken festival!! We went every year and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our town was very similar to yours. Rural Virginia, time has passed that little town too. But seriously it was the best place to grow up. I wouldnt trade it for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a friend of mine was a recent Watermelon Festival Hostess/Hampton Queen

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL, that looks like fun!!! :) nothing like a hometown parade. seriously!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun memory...in my small rural town it was the Onion days festival...being Onion Queen isn't as good as being watermelon queen lol. Congrats to you for being royalty! I bet it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to wear a tiara and ride on a float. But alas, I never have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are royalty!! How fun! ;-)
    I had friends back in Louisiana who were Miss Catfish Festival and Miss Strawberry Festival! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did this Meme last week. It was the fourth picture from the fourth folder. Amazing how fast things change.

    Is Rhett Butler's people another sequel to Gone With the Wind? I loved GWTW and read it a dozen times I am sure. But the first sequel was abismal at best(I can't even remember the name of it). What did you think oh Rhett Butler's People? (Is it still a sequel if it is by a different author. I'm not sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a cute picture! It's a really small world, because I used to live in Hampton, SC and I always loved when it was time for the Watermelon Festival. My dad coached football at Wade Hampton High School, and we really enjoyed living there. I was very sad when we had to leave. :-(
    Do you still have family there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! I worked for the Clemson Extension Service in Hampton for four years as their home economist! I know all too well the Watermelon Festival! I was the secretary for the festival association for a couple years!
    Then I taught school at Wade Hampton for six years before we moved!
    Small world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Belle, thanks for the visit and comment at my place. I enjoyed reading your posts.

    Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you and your family are having a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so funny...When I was growing up, I was in the "Miss Forestry" pageant in Augusta and my friends called me "Miss Pine Seedling." I don't know what my mother was thinking......

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!