Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Fresh Start

About a year ago, I started a post with a remark something like this...When I turned 52 on my recent birthday my brain turned to mush...I blame it on menopause.

SO...my 53rd birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and it seems that my brain is STILL mush a lot of the time.

One day last winter, I got a call from Legare. The mother-in-law of a friend of his had passed away that evening from a heart attack. She wasn't too much older than me and it came completely out of the blue. No signs, no warning....BOOM.  She woke up that morning in her bed at home and by 6:00 p.m. she'd passed away. His request before he ended the call was that both Hank and I PLEASE do whatever it takes within our control to stay healthy.

I have to tell you, when your CHILD has a conversation like that with you, well, you jump.

I considered my family history...my daddy had his first heart attack at 52 and mother, you know MOTHER, what we used to call "eccentric" turned into full blown dementia and in the last couple of years, she has been diagnosed with diabetes.

I considered my lifestyle...little to no exercise, a serious sugar addiction, a diet that consisted primarily of comfort-type food, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, a high pressure career and the responsibilities that Hank and I bear not only to handle our lives and the business thereof,  but also shouldering the sole responsibility of handling everything for his mother, my mother and my brother Ned. And I am sort of a perfectionist control freak. Just saying...

What was I to do?????????????  Stand by for the answers.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear! Glad you're still posting, even if it's not very often.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!