Wednesday, June 3, 2009

COLLEAGUES: "Keep Calm and Carry On"---PLEASE, at least TRY!



Why, you may ask, am I blogging at 3:00 AM?

Work is giving me a massive case of indigestion and I can't sleep, so I'm bringing to the table a ONE Quotation Thursday. Doesn't have the same ring to it as Three Quotation Thursday, does it now? Here it is...
"The greatest mistake you can make is to be continually fearing you will make one."

I think this sums up pretty well how a lot of people in our organization are feeling right now. Being a Southern Belle, I'm reasonably certain that everything I do is absolutely THE WAY that things should be done, but I have to agree with my colleagues in one very important respect...Not only do we not know what the RULES are...we aren't even clear on the GAME! There is a MASSIVE communications issue right now as we reorganize. In the ten years I've been in this office, I've NEVER seen such low morale. I keep saying, "Keep calm and carry on" and have ordered a sign for my office printed with this sentiment. A lot of people are not keeping calm and IT'S GIVING ME INDIGESTION. Perhaps this implies that my attempts at outward calm are causing my insides to rebel!! (poster image from KeepCalmandCarryOn.com)

The secretaries got reassigned on Tuesday, which caused much angst. Lily won't be my secretary anymore. I'm sad... BUT she has been given a wonderful new assignment which I believe will be a good stepping stone for her to the next level. My new secretary, Yvonne, is as sweet as she can be and I love her to pieces. Put her on your prayer list...keeping me straight is not for the faint of heart!

Office space was reassigned...just about everybody is moving to a new location in the building. More angst. The saddest thing is that it's starting to show in some of our relationships with each other. We're generally a very cordial group but the changes, along with not knowing exactly what the new boss expects and preparing to bid farewell to a good number of our co-workers, are taking a toll on the way we interact with each other. Yes, even on me...while I'd like for you to believe that I'm perfect (OK...stop laughing...really, stop it....you're hurting my feelings), I wouldn't be sitting here blogging in the wee hours of the morning if I was completely calm.

Tomorrow is another day...oh wait...it IS tomorrow...
Is this a ton of fun? No it is not. Will we get through it? Yes we will. As unpleasant as it is, none of us are going to find ourselves standing in the unemployment line, at least not right now. For this, I am thankful.

"KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON" Sorry, I didn't mean to yell.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I can sympathize with you on this one. I was in a very similar sitation with my school district a few years ago and it was not fun! The tension around the office, the wondering, the whisperings, all of it completely stressed me out. I'll be thinking of you and hoping that things settle down soon for you.

    Fix a glass of sweet tea and spend some time on the porch swing-that worked wonders for me : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you do need our prayers! I do hope that you will not end up being "sick" over all of this. It's NOT worth it! Take some very long walks in the morning/evening to relieve some of that stress:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking about you-it has seemed for so long that education was a "safe" place to be in the job market...sadly this isn't as true these days. You are right though, you will get through it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart! (said with sincerity in my southern voice) I'm so sorry that things are unsettling at work. Changes, even if they are for the better, are hard. Hang in there sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the re-org. I hope everyone gets settled in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry that things are so stressful for you. We are going through a transition at work also, and the rumor mill is at full tilt. I think I'm going to print that same sign and post it at my desk. Along with one asking if they would like some cheese with their "whine" lol. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. UGH...tension and uncertainty make it hard to concentrate and stay on task. I feel bad for you...but you're right...as long as you have a job every day....life is good! Stay positive and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need one of my spoon bracelets that says "Keep Calm and Carry On"! If you want to see a picture of the one I made let me know. http://paisleysundesigns.blogspot.com Hugs, Sherri

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!