Thursday, May 21, 2009

Three Quotation Thursday

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."

Chuck Palahniuk (from Wikipedia....Charles Michael "Chuck" Palahniuk (pronounced /ˈpɑːlənɪk/;[1] born February 21, 1962) is an American transgressional fiction novelist and freelance journalist. He is best known for the award-winning novel Fight Club, which was later made into a film.)


I got to thinking about Chuck's words. (Chuck, who I have never heard of before which is why I included the wiki blurb just in case you hadn't heard of him either.) Mother tells me I act like Aunt Zoie, and I do indeed have a lot of her qualities. Sometimes I feel like I'm channeling Mother, which scares the you know what out of me. I have my daddy's temper...it simmers for a long long time and then KAPOW. I quite often consider Miss Peggy before I make a move and my maternal grandmama and her commitment to her family. Hank has probably had the greatest influence and I suppose I've influenced him too. Not to mention pastors and school teachers and friends. Then there are the people from whom I've learned what NOT to do. I guess I disagree with Chuck a little bit though, because while all those people have influenced the person I've become, I DO like to think of myself as an ORIGINAL!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield." Price Cobb (from Wikipedia...Price Cobb (born December 10, 1954) won the 1990 24 Hours of Le Mans together with John Nielsen and Martin Brundle in a Jaguar XJR-12. He also owned an Indy Racing League team in 1998 and 1999 for Roberto Guerrero and Jim Guthrie. He also has authored a number of books on auto racing.)

Didn't know this guy either but I definitely agree. I've nothing more to add... -------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is no such thing as "fun for the whole family." - Jerry Seinfeld

We used to be able to occasionally come up with things all four of us could agree on, but here lately...forget it. On a good day, two of us can agree, but all four of us...forget about it. It AIN'T gonna happen. From television shows, to where to go for dinner....heaven forbid a vacation.

How does it work at your house??

11 comments:

  1. I just knew you'd have something to say about Kara today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first quote is so true for me. I pick up funny sayings from other people, I do things certain ways that others do them to try a new way, I inherited my mothers humor and my fathers anger....
    The second is so true! Somedays you are just having the best time and think it will always be like this and bam! you have a craptastic day!
    The third is our lives for the past few years.
    Our oldest wants to do something, we do it, he has a ball and the youngest is miserable or vice versa. As for restaurants and movies, we take turns picking and suffer. The kids go with their friends.
    The last time we went on a vacation as a family it was to D.C. and we had the best time but there were no cell phones for the kids then and no contact with the regular world. My, times have changed..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading that last quote, I have to agree! I hope if I ever have children, I can program them to love the beach and swimming like I do, so it really will be fun for the whole family!

    Love that first quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well fun for the whole family had to include "outsiders". Ex: Vaca - Sometimes with another family so hubby had a golfing buddy, sometimes let the children bring a friend, etc. For me - as long as it was the beach and the weather was good I was fine! And we didn't force the "togetherness" on everyone - ex. hubby didn't have to go shopping with us! So our "fun for the whole family" still contained what I like to call modifications. :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly I got all the bad habits of my father...and none of the good ones from my mother. And I guess I'm lucky...because me and me kids always liked doing the same things...even as they got older. Even now...we can all sit down and play cards and everyone has fun laughing and talking. It's GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun for the whole family?? Choosing a restaurant if we are with princess #1, is a not a good time. We once drove around Orlando for forty minutes, as she vetoed every single place. That is why I literally forced her to make five nights of reservations for our last visit. She couldn't complain, as she had chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Seinfeld quote is funny! With our children ranging in age from 3 to 10, I know we are enjoying the last bit of time that we can please all the children with a trip to the park, Build-a-Bear or Chuck E. Cheese. I know that soon Carson might not even want to be seen with us. Until then, I'm savoring every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of the first gentleman, but it is a great quote. Know of Price, and love that quote - this week I'm definitely the bug! As far as fun for the whole family, if it involves the beach, we're all in agreement. The only family vacation that hubby doesn't care for is Disneyworld. Cait and I love it, he barely tolerates it. But if we throw in a side trip to Don Garlits' race museum in Ocala, he can usually be placated! Next year should be interesting, Cait and I want to go to the new Harry Potter theme park - I'm scared what that one's going to cost me, and I don't mean money lol. But no, he will NOT get his M3. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um...have you ever READ Chuck Palahnuik? That quote is from his novel "Invisible Monsters." It's really messed up. The story concerns a disfigured woman who lost her lower jaw after being shot. Her name is Shannon, but she is frequently referred to by other names given to her by Brandy Alexander, a transvestite with whom she spends the majority of the book. The novel opens on the wedding day of Ms. Evie Cottrell, whose house is on fire and is burning to the ground.

    Now you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For us, our kids are still little enough that we (the parents) still get to pick activties. I have a feeling, with our two rather bull headed children, this will change. Probably soon. We are enjoying it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely loved these. #1 especially...so true, so true

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...it makes me HAPPY!